Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Eye-popping action

Often times our normal day-to-day color schemes are pretty stylized, but we almost always try to make the action scenes a little more stylized to heighten the drama and avoid emotional even-ness. Frequently this means reducing the number of colors on screen to make for zingier contrast. Many of these schemes are inspired by media such as vintage posters and comics that used a limited number of colored inks out of necessity. This action palette from "No Harmony with Melody" was born out of an old 3-d comic book.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

its great that a cartoon for kids can still be so bold and experimental. thanks so much for postings these artwork.

wichobot said...

That remembers me the old NES palette! I remember that the sprites (characters) only could have a max of 2 colors.
Jenny could be a nice NES character (you know only blue & white) ;)
wichobot - www.teenagerobot.tk

Anonymous said...

Cool! Do we get to see Melody's robot powers?

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see "No harmony with melody" !!!

Anonymous said...

Alex, I want to send something to Rob; I'm working on a clay sculpture of Jenny, and I was wondering if there is any way you could help me get it to him. I understand if you can't, but I've been working hard on it and I want to express my gratitude to you guys for creating such a kick-awesome show.

Anonymous said...

One of the many wonderful things Mlaatr has is the amazing use of colors. I'm just anxious to see that episode (well, all Ihaven't seen anyway :)
I wouldn't have known who that character was, but fortunately I saw 4 new episodes, being one of them "Bradventures"... Tuck's garbageman really made me laugh ^__^

Sincerely - J. R.

Anonymous said...

No Harmony with Melody sound like a rock opera episode. Powerpuff Girls did a rock opera episode. Kids Next Door did a rock opera episode. Maybe this one will be one.

John S. said...

Beautiful stuff from a beautiful show!!
Hey Rob!!! It's me, John Sanford! Congrats on putting up my favorite new blog!!!

PotatoFarmGirl said...

I want to see this episode too, it is pretty!

Anonymous said...

Dragon ball Z be like